Monday, March 9, 2009

Anna's is in process of being re-adopted.........

Over the weekend, mommy was on the computer printing out the new forms to re-adopt Anna. We have been waiting a few months for the paperwork to be updated for international adoptions. When Peter was re-adopted there was a fat packet (about 1 1/2" thick) that had to be filed out by the adoptive parents. Along with that packet a home study had to be done along with both parents getting finger printed (again). Besides the cost it was very time consuming. When Anna came home, mommy called the re-adoption office to get the packet to start Anna's re-adoption. The woman explained to me that in a few months everything was going to change where international adoptions wouldn't have to do a home study or get finger printed again and they wouldn't have to fill out that large packet. Mommy was so excited to hear the news. The woman said it would take a few months, but they hoped to have it all set by the new year. She told me that it was my choice if I wanted to start the paper work now, or wait - of cause mommy chosed to wait - because she remembered all the work that went into re-adopting Peter. Mommy called back in January and they were still working on it. Mommy called them this past Friday to find out it was just completely done a few weeks ago and the new forms were on line. Mommy was sooo nicely surprised to find out that it was 2 forms that had to be filled out and 2 pages that required the parents signature and one of those pages had to be notarized. That was it - there was no fingerprinting and no home study that had to be done - it was a beautiful thing, until Mommy went to the re-adoption office with the "kitchen sink" ( all of Anna's adoption documents) with the forms. Luckily daddy came home early from work - so mommy was able to to this solo, which was a good thing, because something that was so simple - turned out that to be so simple. Lets just say Cruella De Vil was there and boy was she in a bad mood. Mommy knew as soon as the woman opened her mouth - it was not going to be a good thing. There was no hi, there was no how are you, or how may I help you - it was - I can not tell you how to fill out the form. I was like what? I understand the forms were just put on the computer, but there were a lot of blanks that the adoptive parents had to fill out - and who knew (except the people in the office) what exactly goes in the blanks - and keep in mind - these blanks were just big white areas - there were no lines - indicating where something should be written. So, mommy asked the woman what would go in the blanks and Cruella De Vil said that she couldn't tell me how to fill out the form, I would have to ask her questions. I asked her if she had a pen for me to borrow, because I managed to drop mine on the way up here - while she was going to get me a pen, she stopped in her tracks and asked if I had to last page notarize - I replied no. Cruella De Vil then said - well, you can't hand them in without them being notarized and asked if I still needed a pen - as if my request for a pen was making her job hard. I told her that I still wanted the pen and I explained that I didn't get the page notarized, because it said Deputy Clerk Notary - so I figured that had to be done here at the courts. Cruella De Vil "barked" no any notary can do it. So, despite Cruella De Vil rudeness, mommy was determined to get Anna's re-adoption paperwork done. While mommy was at the doorway (no desk, no table - just the bottom half of a door closed) filling out the paperwork with very little help from Cruella De Vil another woman told me that in the next building I could get the page notarized and get copies and bring it all back here - because they were open until 5pm. While mommy was filling out the paperwork, Cruella De Vil was looking through the original documents - telling me that I didn't have the correct paperwork and I must have other documents. I explained to the woman that I have the same paperwork that I had for my son when I re-adopted him 2 years ago. Then Cruella De Vil looked at the copies that I was suppose to have to hand in with the forms - and she enjoyed telling me that I had the wrong documents copied. Cruella De Vil then proceeded to mix the original documents with the copies and mommy kept on asking the woman not to mix the documents up, because it was hard to tell the difference from the originals and the copies, but Cruella De Vil seemed to not have cared. Keep in mind, that when mommy called this office last Friday and woman told me what copies I needed to hand in and mommy made sure those copies were made. So, mommy just took a deep breathe and was more determined to get this paperwork done and handed in today! Before going to get the paperwork notarized, mommy asked Cruella De Vil to check the paper work (keep in mind - we are talking about 2 short forms) to make sure it was correct before getting it notarized. She pointed out blanks (white areas) that needed to have something there, so Mommy made the corrections. Mommy then went over to the next building to find out that the notary in the courts left for the day, but was told that the law library should have a notary. Once there, a sweet elderly lady assisted me and notarized the page and was soo happy to know that we were re-adopting our daughter - it was so nice to be treated so kindly. In this same office mommy made the copies that she needed to hand in with the forms. Mommy went back to the re-adoption office to hand in the forms, luckily Cruella De Vil was not there - so it went smoothly. We should be hearing something in about a week.


I couldn't believe how today went - something that should have been a nice happy experience was a sad and aggravating moment. Something that should of only took about 10-15 minutes took over 1 & 1/2 hours. I am happy that this part is done, and hopefully the judge will be fine with the documents that were handed in. I was also told, that we do not have to come to court any more - the paperwork is mailed to our house, or we can pick it up. I was very surprised to hear this, because that was such a special day when we re-adopted Peter. But the woman said that since Anna came home with a R3 visa, she was already adopted and a US Citizen, so there was no reason to appear in court. I asked if it would be possible to have the option to appear in court if we wanted to, and the woman said that only way for that to happen was if we re-adopted Anna and do all that paper work (the 2" pkg., fingerprints again, and a homestudy - as if we were just starting the adoption) - and we really don't need to do that to celebrate this special day. I know with Peter's re-adoption grandma, family members and friends enjoyed this special day, but we decided that when we pick up the paperwork of Anna's re-adoption we would go out to eat and celebrate the day. The woman said in about a week we should be getting a call to come and pick up the paperwork of Anna's re-adoption.

We'll keep you posted, when we hear something.

No comments:

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Date is set Ticker

Pictures from our Visit Trip to see Anna Maria 01/02 - 01/08/08